Saturday, May 5, 2012

Orzo with Parmesan and Basil



I first learned about Orzo because Jake came home from school one day and told me that his professor's wife made orzo for dinner the night before.  So random.  I swear you learn the most interesting and random things about your professors in college just by attending lectures.  There's this one time when a phone started ringing in the middle of lecture in my finance class.  My 78-year-old professor froze, made a face, took out the ringing phone from his pocket and answered the call.  His phone was a hot pink razor.  The whole class just about died.  But I digress...

Remember the basil plant I was telling you about a couple days ago?  This is the second recipe I made with my fresh basil leaves from my very own basil plant that is still very much alive may I add.  This is a very yummy dish.  Jake calls it the high-class rice-a-roni.  I personally think that it is so much better than rice-a-roni.  It's creamy, smooth, and fresh-tasting.  You can pair it with some grilled chicken, ribs, or a vegetable stir fry.  The possibilities are endless!

Orzo with Parmesan and Basil

2 tablespoons butter
1 cup uncooked orzo pasta
1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil

Melt butter in heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in orzo and saute until lightly browned.
Stir in chicken stock and bring to boil. Cover. Reduce heat and simmer until orzo is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 15 - 20 minutes.
Mix in Parmesan cheese and basil. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to shallow bowl. Garnish with basil sprigs.


No comments:

Post a Comment