Thursday, May 24, 2012

The Fan


Does your spouse own something that you wish very much to hide at the bottom of your DI box so that you can rid it from your life?  I do.  Jake brought lots of wonderful things into our marriage but one thing I wasn't too excited about was a little black fan.

I never liked that fan ever since the first time I saw it.  It was dirty; and it was small.  I asked Jake about throwing it away once but he dismissed my idea.  I didn't understand why he was so fond of it.  It's not like it moves a lot of air anyway!  But we kept it and I dutifully pack it every time we moved.  My feeling of dislike towards the fan slowly turned into something much stronger.  I started to hate it and so I always put it in the far back corner of a closet or under the bed to make sure that I won't have to lay my eyes upon it until our next move.  To be fair, we did use it a lot when we were at Stanford because our student apartment had no air conditioner.  There were lots of nights in the summer when Ethan and I drifted off to sleep to the sound of the little black fan whirring in the background.

We were playing in Ethan's bedroom this afternoon and I accidentally saw the fan in the closet.  Urgh!  It was a ghastly sight. The fan had gotten abhorrently dusty and gross through our (almost) four years of marriage.  I couldn't stand it anymore so I leapt up from the floor, grabbed the fan, and started cleaning it like a mad woman.  If it is going to stay with us for the rest of our lives then it's better for it to be clean!

Man did I clean that fan.  I got into all those little gaps.  I even used q tips to clean the spots where my fingers couldn't fit into.  Jake was surprised, to say the least, when he came home and found that I had cleaned the fan.  He asked me what it was that had possessed me to do such a thing.  I have no idea either but it sure felt good to have finally made peace with the ugly fan that he brought into my life four years ago.

And since I didn't take any pictures of the fan, here are a few snapshots from the day.



These squeaky eggs are Ethan's newest toys.  Aren't they adorable?






New sole protectors.


I took a picture of this ugly earth dog because it is actually one of Ethan's favorite toys.
It makes a really loud and clear rattle noise but it's just so dang ugly!
This toy company needs a new product designer!  Or maybe not, since the child loves it so much.




We hope that you're having a good week!  We are very much looking forward to the long weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Look at all those little teeth! I can't wait to snuggle with the little guy! - Aunt Steph

    ReplyDelete