Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Microwave Caramel



Listen up my dear readers because I have a really embarrassing story to share today.  

A few days ago I saw a pin on pinterest with the caption 6 minutes microwave caramels.  That sounded like something I wanted to try so I went to the original link and read the recipe.  The instructions go something like this: Combine all ingredients.  Cook 6 minutes, stirring every two minutes.  I'm sure the above sentences would have been clear enough to a person in his right mind.  But alas, not to me.  Somehow I was confused by the fact that there was no mention of a microwave like the caption from the pin has promised.  I read the instructions again very carefully, then I read the recipe contributor's notes.  I even went as far as reading all the comments shown on that page but the word microwave was nowhere to be found!  So I was convinced that the pinner must have had it wrong and what did the ever-so-bright Claire do?  I cooked the caramel on my stove.  Do you know what happens to caramel when you cook it on a stove and only stir it every two minutes?  {It's okay.  Go ahead.  I would laugh too if I were you.}  It wasn't completely horrible though.  Really.  There were some burned bits floating around but Jake said that they add character to the caramels.  I wanted to believe him and so I did.  Those caramels were really full of character.  When I was in the shower the next morning, I had an epiphany: maybe the caramel really were meant to be cooked in the microwave!  {Gasp!}  I made the recipe again and it was delicious but unquestionably lacking in the character division.

The end.

p.s.  I went back to the original link for the recipe and the word microwave was in the recipe title the whole time.






Microwave Caramels
Recipe adapted from Food.com

1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup light Karo syrup
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
Sea salt

Combine all ingredients.
Cook in microwave on high for 6 minutes, stirring every two minutes.
Stir and pour into lightly greased dish.  Sprinkle with sea salt.
Let cool.  Cut, wrap in wax paper & store in air tight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment