Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Korean Marinated Beef


A lifetime ago when I was on a study abroad in China, strangers always asked if I was from Korea.  It bemused me because I personally don't think I look Korean at all.  Every single Korean girl I knew from college was stylish and beautiful, and I am anything but stylish and beautiful.  {Especially when I was in China!  Let's just say that I did not adhere to the recommended daily calorie intake.}  But I do love Korean food.  This world would be a very sad place without kimchi.  Yes, very sad indeed.  So when I saw this recipe on the internet I had to give it a try.  They called it beef bulgogi on allrecipes.com but it's nothing like the beef bulgogi I've tried in Korean restaurants so I changed the name here on the blog because I would hate to confuse myself in the future.  We do have an outdoor grill but, I don't know, being out in the sun when it's a hundred degrees outside just didn't sound very fun to me so I cooked the beef on my George Foreman grill.  It was very good and made my house smell amazing.  I'm sure it would've been even better on a real grill.




Korean Marinated Beef
From allrecipes.com

1 pound flank steak, thinly sliced
5 tablespoons soy sauce
2 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 cup chopped green onion
2 tablespoons minced garlic
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
2 tablespoons sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

Place the beef in a shallow dish. Combine all other ingredients in a small bowl. Pour over beef. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat, and lightly oil the grate.
Quickly grill beef on hot grill until slightly charred and cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes per side.

1 comment:

  1. Looks Yum Yum ! I will try out the recipe one of these days !

    ReplyDelete