Thursday, September 20, 2012

Tortellini with Spinach Tomato Sauce


Did you know that if you view my blog on Safari that the pictures will look a hundred times better?  I don't know why.  Jake tried to explain it to me one time but all the technical words seemed to have gotten all jumbled up together and I don't quite understand it.  So I'll just credit Apple's ingenious engineering and design.

This week marks the sixth anniversary of Jake and I being together.  I can't believe that we started dating six years ago!  I sometimes like to read through old emails between Jake and me and I always laugh out loud when I read the very first email he has ever sent me.  It goes like this...

Right now I am sitting across from you in the library [...] I want to tell you that [...] I am glad that you are my friend.  I know you will do well on your economy tests.  Just study hard and don't worry too much.  I'm praying for you.  Talk to you later.

Hahahahaha!  I hope you're laughing as well.  He was a goofball, but I'm glad that I married him because a lot of wonderful things would never have come into my life if I didn't.  Ethan would be one of those; this recipe would be another :)  This is rather easy and quick to make.  Nothing fancy.  The original recipe calls for one cup of chopped spinach.  I followed the recipe when we made this the first time and you had to use a microscope to find the poor shrunken spinach.  Since Jake and I both really enjoy spinach I usually just pour a whole package of baby spinach (you can find it in the packaged salad section in the store) into the the saucepan.


{ Tortellini with Spinach Tomato Sauce }
Adapted from allrecipe.com

1 (16 ounce) package cheese tortellini
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with garlic and onion
5 cups chopped fresh spinach
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
1 teaspoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3/4 cup milk
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add the tortellini, and cook until tender, about 10 minutes.

While you get the tortellini going, combine the tomatoes, spinach, salt, pepper, basil and garlic in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook and stir until the mixture begins to bubble.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, milk and cream. Stir this mixture into the saucepan along with the Parmesan cheese. Heat through, then reduce heat to low, and simmer until thick, about 2 minutes.

Drain the tortellini, but do not rinse, then pour them into the saucepan with the sauce. Stir to coat, and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment