Monday, September 10, 2012

Ten Books



There's a blog I really like called Everyday Reading.  I think I like it so much because I can relate to the blogger Janssen: she is a mom of a little girl, she likes to make nutritious food for her family, but most importantly, she loves to read.  She does these Everything I read posts quarterly and when I'm ready for a new book I always go back to those posts to look for a recommendation.  I love her book lists.  Then I thought, maybe I can do something like that on my blog as well but then I crossed out that thought because by the rate I'm reading my quarterly book list would have only a handful of books on it and that's just a little pathetic.  SO I've decided to do a 10 Books I've Read post featuring the last ten books I've read and giving one- to two-sentence reviews on the books.

Are you ready?

Here it goes.

The First Husband by Laura Dave.  This was a meh for me.  I didn't really like it.  It was not a very good story with a few holes in the plot, and there were things the main character did that I really couldn't imagine that anyone would do.  So no I wouldn't recommend this book.

Small as an Elephant by Jennifer Jacobson.  I really enjoyed this book.  It makes me want to be a better mother.

Jefferson's Sons by Kimberly Bradley.  I liked this book a lot.  I wrote about it a little bit more in this post a while ago.  For me, it wasn't so much about whether Jefferson really had children with Sally Hemings, but more about the point that even people who so honorably fought for their own kind's freedom could be completely blind to their own fault at holding others in bondage.

Sean Griswold's Head by Lindsey Leavitt.  This was okay.  It was kinda funny but nothing amazing.

What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty.  I loved this book.  The way the author led her readers to the truth one step at a time got me hooked.  Definitely my kind of book.  Read it.

Pope Joan by Donna Woolfolk Cross.  This was a very interesting book.  It was a little too long or maybe the story was too slow but a good read nonetheless.  I'm just glad that I was born in this day and age!

I've Got Your Number by Sophie Kinsella.  This was fun but I wasn't in love with it or anything.  I don't even know why I still read any chick lit, they never wow or amaze me, but I guess there are just times when you want to read a light hearted book that doesn't require your brain to work too hard.

Maisie Dobbs by Jacqueline Winspear.  This was one of my favorites out of these ten as well.  It reminded me a little bit of the Number One Ladies Detective Agency series, but Maisie Dobbs is less witty and involves subjects that are a little more serious.

Nightshade by Andrea Cremer.  I think that when the vampire fairies or midgets or gnomes sprinkled their magic dusts over all the females in the United States that they must have missed me or something.  I just don't understand what's so mesmerizing about falling in love with a vampire or a wolf!  Seriously.  Maintaining a healthy marital relationship is hard enough even when you don't have to think about what you're going to grab and knock out your annoyed husband with so that he doesn't bite the noisy neighbors next door.

Okay for Now by Gary D. Schmidt.  Yes, I really liked this one as well.  It's fun and serious at the same time.

If you have read any of the books I've mentioned above, leave me a comment and let me know how you liked them!  Happy reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment