Thursday, September 6, 2012

Mango and Black Bean Quinoa Salad





Quinoa and I first met in California.  The moment I met her, I knew that I would never want to live without her again.  Then I looked her up on Wikipedia and found out how awesome she is for my body so I decided that I would let her hang out at our pantry more often.  I just needed to find a way for her to make her way onto our dinner table.  That's why when I came across this recipe, I had to try it.  The salad was beautiful with all the different colors, and you know how I feel about mangos (YUM!).  However, the salad dressing was not my favorite.  It was way too strong.  Another downside is that this doesn't keep so you'll have to consume it all in one go.  This recipe reminds me though of another quinoa recipe that I used to make: it's a stir fry and it's yum-o-yum.  I'll have to post that sometime!


{ Mango and Black Bean Quinoa Salad }

2 cups cooked quinoa (about ¾ cup dried), cooked in vegetable or chicken broth, at room temperature or chilled
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 medium mangos, peeled and diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
4 green onions, white and green parts thinly sliced
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
4 tablespoon red wine vinegar
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1-2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Place the cooked quinoa in a large bowl. Add mango, red pepper, green onion, black beans, and cilantro.

In a small bowl combine vinegar, olive oil, and lime juice. Whisk until the dressing is smooth and pour on top of salad. Toss to combine and add salt and pepper (add more to taste if desired). Chill the salad for at least one hour before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment