Friday, July 20, 2012

The Nook


Ah, the nook.  Let me tell you about the nook.  The moment those evil little e-readers came out on the market, I knew that they should never be trusted.  How suspicious I was of the kindle and the nook and the hundred other e-readers there were.  I was an inside-out gung-ho paper girl.  I love paper.  I love the feel and the smell of it, and that's why I got so entranced by bookbinding.  The idea of reading a book on a digital device was unthinkable!  Blasphemy even!  

Until the hubby got me one the summer I was pregnant, that is.

I didn't love it at first even though it was nice.  The words on the screen were clear and crisp, almost exactly like you're reading an actual book.  I appreciated how it was so well designed that it's very natural to hold and I love the page-turning buttons on both sides of the device.  The first feature that started turning my anti-e-readers guard off was the dictionary, of course.  The dictionary on the nook makes it so fast and easy to look up words.  Plus, it was far more precise than the walking dictionary (aka husband) that I had to use when we were out.  I took it on several road trips and vacations.  It was super nice that I didn't have to haul 10 pounds of books with me when I had the nook.  It's extremely light and it takes up hardly any space at all in my purse.  Also, you seldom have to charge it.  The battery lasts forever.

And then came the little one.  The mini made it quite hard to read.  You need some practice and extra flexible arms to turn a page without waking or distracting a little one sleeping or nursing in your arms.  And it's almost impossible to hold your baby's head (my baby's head size was in the 100th percentile let me remind you) and a hardcover that's on the larger size with one hand for more than fifteen minutes without it falling asleep so I once again turned to my nook and it served me well.  I grew to love it more and more over time.  I feel like the best thing about it right now is that I can get digital books downloaded onto my device from our library without driving in the hot hot car under the hot hot sun with a hot hot baby in the back seat to the library.  What's more?  I suspect that my paper-loving gene has somehow transfered to my child.  His little hands find papers to tear everywhere we go.  There was this one day when I found him tearing out pages of the Ensign and chewing them--he was literally feasting upon the word of God.  But I digress...  My point was that with the nook, I'm saving money from all the tape that I would otherwise have to buy to tape up destroyed pages or to tape the mini's little hands together to stop him from tearing my books up.

The nook, of course, is not perfect and there are things I don't like about it.  The on/off button on the back is total garbage.  Also, the material on the back is extremely prone to smudges and finger prints which makes it look dirty all the time.  But these are all little things that I can live with.

Anyway, I better sign off now to spend the rest of the evening with the hub.  How's that for an abrupt end to a blog post.  Happy weekend everyone!



No comments:

Post a Comment