Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Happy Anniversary to Us

Four years ago I married the love of my life.  The love of my life has, unfortunately, been on a business trip  and won't be back until tomorrow morning so he missed it just by half a day and was not here to celebrate with me.  It was a yoyo kinda anniversary; you know, as in You're On Your Own.  I thought that I would be lonely and miserable but it turned out to be better than I had imagined.  The mini and I had a pretty good day.  He seemed to know that his mama needed some extra loving today so he was kissing me randomly all day long.  It sure was sweet.

Before you read any further, I would like you to humor me and click here to go to a youtube video and play this song called A Thousand Years by Christina Perri and then come back here to finish reading this post while you're listening to the song (Don't forget to skip the stupid ad!).  It will just make the rest of this post sound a little more romantic.  Thank you for your cooperation.

I know a lot of wives say that they have the best husband in the world, but I know that they are all lying because I know the best husband in the world and believe it or not he is married to me.  Do you believe in matches made in heaven?  I didn't.  Not until I met Jake anyway.  He is perfect for me in so many ways; he completes me.  We got more than two complete sets of encyclopedia full of marriage advice when we were engaged and a few pieces of them got stuck with me.  One of them was from our religion professor.  He said that other than loving our spouse, we have to love our marriage as well.  I didn't quite understand him at the time but I do now, and I do love our marriage.  Sometimes Jake is not my favorite person in the world.  It doesn't happen often, not very often at all, but it has happened before.  The love that I had for our marriage helped smooth things out.  We worked through the hard times and grew closer to each other.

I'm not sure how he still loves me after witnessing the ugliest, the most unpleasant, and the weakest part of me.  But he does.  And he cares for me like no one else: always putting my comfort in front of his own.  He strives to make me happy.  No one has ever done that for me and it makes me feel pretty darn special when all a person wants is for me to be happy.  Sometimes he makes me feel like the only reason for me to be created was to be his wife and to walk through life with him, to have and to hold from the day we were married, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish for eternity.

It was a little bit sad that Jake wasn't in town but at least I had Ethan with me, and he is one of the many highlights in Jake and my marriage so it wan't all bad.

Here is what we did, only if you're interested:


Just thought you wouldn't want to miss this.  
Ethan sleeping last night.  
He started in the middle of the bed and then rolled and rolled and finally rolled onto the pillow.
I had to sit in a chair right next to the bed because I was terrified that he would roll off.


We woke up and read lots and lots of books in bed.
Can you tell that I had pushed the crib right next to the bed 
AND 
put the bumper on the outside of the crib?
Yup, I'm that kind of mom.

And then I checked my email.
I opened one from Kate.  You might know her too.  Her last name is Spade.
And she said that she was holding a surprise sale.
So I texted my sweet husband and he told me to "make [my] pick" for our anniversary gift.
There are no sexier words than when your husband tells you to "make your pick".
So, it came down to these two:



They are both hot pink.
It took me all day but I finally picked the wallet.
I got realistic when I tried to imagine how many diapers I could stuff into the purse...



And then we picked out some more books to read and I demanded a kiss while we were at it.

We decided to go to the store and while I was getting the diaper bag ready,
I noticed that it was suspiciously quiet in the house
and found E on the kitchen floor stuffing ginger cookies into his mouth.





We went to Trader Joe's.


And I got me some pretty flowers.
It's a pink anniversary.  Can you tell yet?


I spy a sleeping baby.


Such an angel.  Handsome like his daddy.
p.s. Thank you Jake for giving me such a beautiful baby.


And then we had lunch, but not before we say our prayer.
Ethan learned to "pray" about a month ago and this is what he does:
he pulls a serious face, crosses his arms, and tilts his head back.
I'm thinking that maybe he was actually trying to bow his head?
Or maybe he's looking up at heaven.
Just a guess.



Have you ever had these tiny grapes?  They are SO sweet!
E loves them.

After a nap, we had snack:
crackers with tomato basil hummus, manchego, and pineapples.


And to end the day, we had dinner.


Ethan said the prayer for us.

Thank you for reading.

I hope you had a wonderful day too!


1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful day you made---it's better to think that the 'glass is half full' than the other way! I'm sure you missed your hubby!

    ReplyDelete